Saturday, March 17, 2018

Day 9


Poland – March 17, 2018

Northern Illinois University Study Abroad, Poland


What I found the most fascinating about Krakow was all of the historical occurrences that took place here such as Pope John Paull II’s schooling. Not only did I learn that he attended school in Krakow, I actually got the amazing opportunity to visit the college he studied at. None of my group went inside but we did walk around the building and learned more information about him through our tour guide. I then spotted a beautiful castle in the distance which we did get to go inside for. The interior was decorated with exquisite tapestries that included biblical and mythical scenes. The view from the castle looked as if it was something from a dream. A major downfall was while inside the castle, pictures were prohibited so I could not capture that same moment I had with others back at home.

As a Roman Catholic myself, it was particularly cool to see so many churches within such short distances from each other. At one point, the tour guide took us to Wawel Cathedral which is one of the most stunning churches I have ever seen. The interior was colored with a lot of black with compliments of gold. The statues/paintings of the holy family and saints contained great detail. Again, pictures of the interior were prohibited but because Wawel is so well-known, I luckily have access to many pictures online to remember the experience by.    




Walking around the outside of the University of Krakow



Heading towards the castle (on the left)



Posing with my pigeon friends

No comments:

Post a Comment