Sunday, March 18, 2018

Day 10


Poland – March 18, 2018

Northern Illinois University Study Abroad, Poland


Since today was our last full day in Poland, we had a lighter schedule. Heading to the first destination was not until 10:45 a.m., so I had time to attend church this morning. It was my first time hearing mass spoken in Polish and it sounded quite beautiful. Shortly after returning to the hotel from mass, my peers and I were driven to a monastery built in the 13th century. The monastery building was utilized until the 1800’s and was basically fell into ruins until renovation began back in 1998. Most of the building was re-constructed using new materials but one of the walls contained the original bricks from over 700 years ago which also happens to be the oldest wall in Poland which I got to see and touch.

Near Katowice, is located a hot house at which we were able to stop by for a bit. A hot house is “a heated greenhouse in which plants that need protection from cold weather are grown”. This was something relaxing to do after an enjoyable, but tiring morning. Some plants I saw were cacti, orange trees and giant palm trees.  When we finished with the hot house, we drove back to the hotel and concluded our night with a delicious chocolate cake. It is crazy to think that this is my last night in Poland, at least for a while. I learned and saw so many new things and am grateful for the adventures each day brought. I have plenty to pack so I better get started!



Oldest brick wall in Poland



Inside monastery's church



Hot house (heated greenhouse)

No comments:

Post a Comment